If you are a cyclist, you know that there is always a risk of being involved in an accident. And, if you are involved in an accident, you may be able to file a claim to get compensation for your injuries. In this post, we will discuss what you need to know about common bicycle accident claims.
Given the number of cyclists on the roads, it’s not surprising that bicycle accidents are becoming more common. And, as more cyclists are injured in accidents, the number of claims being filed is also on the rise.
If you are involved in a bicycle accident, you may be able to file a personal injury claim against the driver of the vehicle that hit you. You may also be able to file a claim against the owner of the vehicle if the driver was not the owner.
What are Common Bicycle Accident Claims?
Many different types of bicycle accidents can occur, but some of the most common ones include:
- Collision with a car or truck: This is the most common type of bike accident and can result in serious injuries. If you are involved in a collision with a car or truck, make sure to get the driver’s contact information as well as the witnesses’ contact information.
- Hit by a car while riding your bike: This type of accident often occurs when cars are turning or backing out of parking spaces. If you are hit by a car while riding your bike, make sure to get the driver’s contact information as well as the witnesses’ contact information. – Falling off your bike: This can happen for many reasons, such as hitting a rough patch in the road or getting into an argument with another cyclist. If you fall off your bike, make sure to take pictures of the scene and seek medical attention if necessary.
- Getting doored: This happens when someone opens their door without looking and causes you to collide with it while cycling. If you get doored, make sure to get the driver’s contact information as well as the witnesses‘ contact information.
What to Do If You Are Involved in a Bicycle Accident?
If you are involved in a bicycle accident, there are certain steps you need to take to protect yourself and ensure that your rights are fully protected. Here are the most important things to remember:
- Call the Police: If someone has been injured or if there is significant damage caused to either person or property, it is important to call the police and file an official report. This will provide evidence of what happened and could be helpful later on should a lawsuit be filed.
- Get Medical Attention: Even if you don’t think you have been seriously injured, it is important to seek medical attention after a bicycle accident. Many injuries do not manifest themselves until days or even weeks after the accident occurred.
- Gather Evidence: In addition to getting medical attention, it is also important to gather evidence from the scene of the accident. This includes taking pictures of the damage done, obtaining contact information from any witnesses, and writing down everything that happened as soon as possible after the accident occurred.
- Contact an Attorney: If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, it is advisable to contact an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you file a lawsuit against the party responsible for your injuries.
Contact and Visit Us at Garcia and Phan Attorneys at Law
There are several common bicycle accident claims that every cyclist should be aware of. If you are involved in a bicycle accident, it is important to contact an experienced attorney who can help you navigate the legal process and get the compensation you deserve. At Garcia and Phan Attorneys Law at (714) 586-8298, we have extensive experience handling bicycle accident claims and we are here to help.