When someone causes the death of another person, whether by accident or on purpose, the person’s family should talk to a personal injury lawyer about how to file a wrongful death claim. This claim is a fix that tries to figure out how much money the family will lose because of the death of a loved one.
The civil court system, not the criminal court system, is in charge of claims of wrongful death. But the person who caused the death of the person who died can be brought to both a civil court and a criminal court. For a wrongful death claim to be successful, the partner or family members of the person who died must show a jury how the defendant led to the loss of their loved one.
How do we assist families through difficult situations of wrongful death?
The process of suing for wrongful death can take a long time and be very stressful because there are many rules, regulations, and steps to follow. Here are just a few of the things a wrongful death lawyer will do during court:
- Filing The Lawsuit – A lawsuit for wrongful death must meet many rules and be strong enough to make your case and stand against opposition from the other side.
- Getting Evidence – There are many ways to get evidence in your favour, such as hiring investigators, giving depositions, asking for documents, and more.
- Demanding The Other Side’s Defenses – The other side will use legal defences to get out of being responsible. our wrongful death lawyer will respond to those defences to challenge them and protect your right to get money.
- Negotiate A Favorable Settlement – Most wrongful death lawsuits are settled out of court, but that doesn’t mean you should accept a low settlement just to avoid going to court. Our lawyer for wrongful death will use new arguments and evidence to negotiate on your behalf until you get the settlement offer you deserve.
- Represent You In Front Of A Jury – If the person who is responsible for the death won’t make a fair settlement offer, your wrongful death lawyer will present your case at a trial, which has strict rules about what evidence can be used and how it can be used. this happens in front of a judge and a jury in a courtroom.
What Compensation Can I Get For A Wrongful Death?
Some kinds of economic losses that can be given out are:
- When anyone passes away in an accident, the people left behind often lose the money that the person who died gave them. This amount can be given for as long as the person making the claim or the person who died is expected to live, whichever is shorter.
- Any costs for the funeral service and other burial costs.
- The financial benefit of any offerings that the person who died would have done.
Non-economic damages include the following:
- The heir’s loss of care because of the death. This can include the teaching, advice, help, safety, and love that the deceased would have provided if they were still alive.
- Sexual relations are lost for the victim’s spouse.
It is essential that you understand the steps that must be taken to protect your rights and obtain the remuneration you are entitled to. If you or a loved one are a victim of wrongful death, contact Garcia and Phan Law Firm at (714) 586 8298 to learn how we can assist you.